JCMF
JCMF

Gallery: Places Associated with JCM

Glenlair House:  circa 1880 after enlargement by JCM.
This house, near Corsock in Dumfries & Galloway, was the country home of the Clerk Maxwell family.

Courtesy of the Cavendish Laboratory,
University of Cambridge.

Glenlair distant:  Distant view of Glenlair.

Courtesy of the Cavendish Laboratory,
University of Cambridge.

Glenlair front:  Front elevation of Glenlair.

Courtesy of the Cavendish Laboratory,
University of Cambridge.

Glenlair ruins 1:  long after the destructive fire of 1929. The taller part to the left is the extension which was the result of an 1868 collaboration between JCM and Dumfries architect James Barbour (1834-1912).
On the right is the 1831 original house built by JCM's father, John Clerk Maxwell, in collaboration with Dumfries architect Walter Newall (1780-1863).

Courtesy of the Cavendish Laboratory,
University of Cambridge.

Glenlair ruins (2):  Distant view of Glenlair in ruins.

Courtesy of the Cavendish Laboratory,
University of Cambridge.

Glenlair 2009:  The house in 2009.
The entrance porch has been restored and the ruins stabilized by "The Maxwell at Glenlair Trust".

Glenlair 2014 (1):  The house in 2014. On the right of the picture, the original house built for JCM's father has been rebuilt.

Courtesy of Captain Duncan Ferguson

Glenlair 2014 (2):  The reconstructed house, centre, within the shell of the 1831 original Glenlair House.

Courtesy of Captain Duncan Ferguson

Marischal 1850s:  The courtyard of Marischal College, Aberdeen, as it was when James Clerk Maxwell was appointed as Professor of Natural Philosophy in 1856.

Marischal 2006:  The courtyard of Marischal College Aberdeen in the 21st century.  Note the Mitchell Tower, erected in 1895 on the original lower tower.

Cavendish Lab:  A modern view of the front of the original Cavendish Laboratory in Free School Lane, Cambridge. The Cavendish opened in 1874 under the direction of James Clerk Maxwell, the University's first Cavendish Professor of Experimental Physics.

Photograph by David Peacock

Cavendish back:  A modern view of the rear of the original Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge. 

Photograph courtesy of Dr Isobel Falconer
Creative Commons Attribution-
ShareAlike 4.0 International License

Scroope Terrace:  Trumpington Street, Cambridge
It was here, at No. 11 (at the far end of the terrace) that James Clerk Maxwell lived while director of the Cavendish Laboratory.

Photograph courtesy of Dr Isobel Falconer
Creative Commons Attribution-
ShareAlike 4.0 International License

The JCM Foundation is a charity formed in Scotland in 1977. (Registered Charity SC015003)
Contact us.    Privacy policy and cookies.